Joe is a specialist in alternative dispute resolution. He is an arbitrator and mediator, and also assists his own clients with resolving disputes using alternative processes such as negotiation, mediation and arbitration. He has trained and received certifications in these areas, both domestically and internationally.
Joe is also a trademark agent.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Joe was a Professional Engineer. In addition to understanding technical issues, he uses his engineering training and experience to provide practical and effective problem solving approaches for his clients.
Joe volunteers for numerous professional and charitable organizations. He often makes presentations in his areas of focus, and teaches civil trial advocacy at the University of Alberta Law School. He is actively involved in the community, having served on numerous non-profit boards and committees. Along with various other community activities, Joe coaches soccer.
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – 1994
- LL.B., with Distinction
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – 1988
- B. Sc. (Eng.), with Distinction
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Professional Engineer, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Qualified Arbitrator, ADR Institute of Canada (ADRIC)
- Trademark Agent, College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Harvard Law School Certificate in Mediating Disputes
Areas of Practice
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Commercial, Contractual and General Litigation
- Professional Liability and Disciplinary Proceedings